Friday, March 24, 2006

Michael Schmidt

Michael Schmidt’s keynote lecture from last week’s StAnza festival makes stimulating (and lengthy) reading. I’ve initiated what I hope might turn into a conversation on it at Pffa’s Voyage of Discovery forum here.

There’s a lot in the lecture and I’ll try to collect enough thoughts together to say something about it soon. But for now, I did enjoy his closing salvo:

Ring Lardner had this advice for the young story-writer, which also applies to a starting poet: ‘ A good many young writers make the mistake of enclosing a stamped, self-addressed envelope, big enough for the manuscript to come back in. This is too much of a temptation to the editor.’

Heh. Now I know what I’ve been doing wrong all those years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is good to know. Next time I'm folding the content 36 times & squeezing it into a doll's house envelope with matching sae that'll just about take the stamp. I'm on my way..!

Rob said...

A great future awaits you Dick. And now I know the secret, a great future awaits me too.

Now where did I put that 900-page stream-of-consciousness manuscript I was going to send to Michael Schmidt at Carcanet Press?