Saturday, February 02, 2008

Burns Supper

I’m off to a Burns Supper tonight, possibly the last one of the entire season. I have to give the ‘immortal memory’. Normally, I don’t like these much but I’m using it to say that everyone should read poetry - not just Robert Burns, but contemporary poetry – because we are diminished as individuals and as a society when good contemporary poetry is largely unread by otherwise intelligent people. I’ll find out how that goes down…(!)

And yes, there will be dancing. And a very cheap bar. I have to work tomorrow morning. Remember…remember… I have to work tomorrow.

2 comments:

Cuitlamiztli Carter said...

because we are diminished as individuals and as a society when good contemporary poetry is largely unread by otherwise intelligent people

Hm, I like this. I would agree. Many of my cohorts who are intellectuals limit it to one contemporary area (usually music or film) and relegate the other media to things whose glory days have either passed, or whose glory days are the only things that appeal to them as modern readers. I think you're absolutely right and I would love to hear you expanding upon that.

Colin Will said...

Couldn't agree more Rob. Especially with the range, vitality and quality of poetry being written by contemporary poets.