Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Captions and Alcohol

If anyone can suggest better captions for the photos at my Great Grog post below, then I’d be pleased to hear them, and might replace my efforts with them. I keep feeling, for example, that Mike looks more to be going through a mystical experience than talking about dogs (which he did) and Kapka appears more to be overcome with emotion than talking about her collection.

*

Two fascinating articles by Jim Murdoch on writers and alcohol. Part 1 looks at attitudes among writers to drink and Part 2 (which I found particularly interesting) gets down to practice itself.

I’ve not got time just this minute to say anything more, but I will in due course.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Missing from Jim Murdoch's film list is that classic depiction of a drunken poet, 'Reuben, Reuben' (1983), with Tom Conti in the leading role.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084591/

Inexplicably *still* not available on DVD.


ABJ

Jim Murdoch said...

I did think of it but I was pretty sure he was a teacher though I suspect that was actually Heavenly Pursuits I was thinking about.

Thanks for the mention BTW. I look forward to seeing what you have to add.

Unknown said...

Thanks for puffing those two articles Rob; I'll be back to look at Jim's blog again - very interesting stuff. I'm not a big drinker myself, despite coming from the land of 'Go on, go on, go on.'
I've seen alcohol destroy enough people to make me wary, and I don't think it would do anything for my writing whatsoever. It's hard enough to put words and sentences together without an extra layer of remove being added to the equation.