Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Poetry At The... GRV - Sunday September 13th 2009, 7.45pm

The first year of ‘Poetry at the…’ ran very smoothly. Nothing ever went wrong and organising it was a piece of cake. However, the same can’t be said of the second year! We’d just found a good venue in the Crypt Bar of the Jekyll & Hyde Pub and had used it for three months. I booked various poets for the autumn 2009 dates in September, October and November, and booked the venue with the manager. About 10 days ago, he got in touch to say that the owners had made the decision to close the pub every Sunday – the day ‘Poetry at the…’ takes place!

With the first date looming on Sunday 13th September, I had to find a new venue fast. I have done, but it wasn’t easy. That said, I’m delighted with the new venue – upstairs at the GRV in Edinburgh’s Guthrie Street (a lane just off Chambers Street, at the South Bridge side – it’s actually easy to find, about 30 seconds walk down the lane). The time has changed a little too: it’s now 7.45–9.45pm. And the cost is now £4 with £3 concession, which I knew I’d have to do whatever venue we used. Still great value, I think.

On September 13th, there’s a stellar line-up and I’m hoping for a big audience (please!) – Brian McCabe, Ivy Alvarez, and Joseph Harrison, whose poem and bio is just up on the ‘Poetry at the…’ site. In addition, there will be three of four ‘surprise’ poets doing quick 3-minute sets, which should be an interesting experiment.

No comments: